A joint meeting organised by the Human Values in Healthcare Forum and the Open Section of the Royal Society of Medicine.
Exploring and sustaining compassionate practice in healthcare.
The overarching aim of the conference is to address the problem of compassion failure and to share ideas, resources and experiences of effective strategies for developing, promoting and sustaining compassion in healthcare.
At the end of the meeting participants will have an enhanced knowledge and understanding of:
- The meaning of compassion, its neurobiological, psychological and philosophical roots and its relevance to healthcare
- The barriers and facilitators to compassionate practice
- How the education and training of nurses and doctors promotes or corrodes compassionate practice
- Successful strategies for promoting and delivering compassionate healthcare
- Contextual factors that influence compassionate healthcare at the individual, team, organisational and sociocultural level
The participants will have the opportunity to share perspectives, develop networks and forge potential collaborations with individuals and organisations interested in promoting compassionate healthcare.